Analyse - Investigate - Report
HF-AIR™ is a complete online incident investigation system. The integrated analysis tools provide a rich understanding of both technical failures and human behaviours and are pulled together using an interactive timeline. The language used throughout the tool is deliberately simple but is based on a rigorous and in-depth understanding of the research. This means an investigator can easily pick up, use and understand the content
- Upskill in human factors awareness and interviewing
- Pinpoint system & cognitive origins of behaviours
- Map how Critical Moments of incidents link to the end outcome
- Develop specific & effective recommendations
- Work quickly using our streamlined & intuitive analysis process
- Produce quality automated reports
- Identify the human factors trends impacting the business
- Share industry human factors trends
The interactive timeline is the hub of an HF-AIR™ investigation. The investigator enters the Critical Moments (CM) into the system which will allow the investigation team to see at a glance when events have occurred. Users can zoom in and out on the timeline, view CM descriptions and associated photographs. This is also where they select a CM to analyse. The CM’s can either be 5M Causes (Machinery; Methods; Materials; Mother-nature; Measurement) or Behaviours.
Cognitive Origins Analysis™
Behaviours are analysed using Cognitive Origins Analysis™ (COA™) which is designed to help support an understanding of the type of failure that has occurred and why (the Cognitive Origin). The investigators will use our model of situational awareness (SUPPA) to seek to understand at which of the 5 cognitive steps (Scan; Understand; Predict; Plan; Act) the behaviour first failed. They will then look to identify the high-level causes of the failure (e.g. Vigilance) and then all the related Cognitive Origins that sit under those high-level causes (e.g. Under stimulated).
The key features of COA™ are:
The cognitive steps
Avoid “Blame” terminology
Additional Contextual Factors
A 5M-Cause is a description for anything that is not a behaviour (Machinery; Methods; Materials; Mother-nature; Measurement) which has contributed to the incident. 5M-Cause Analysis allows investigators not only to understand why the 5M-Cause has occurred but also if there are any relating behaviours that need to be added to the investigation. In order to understand the 5M-Cause the investigators ask and answer ‘why?’ until it no longer makes sense to do so (i.e. the root cause has been identified) or there is insufficient evidence to support a response. The evidence that supports ’why’ is recorded alongside along with any linked behaviours. If there are any additional behaviours associated with the 5M-Cause (not covered already in the Critical Moments) these can be added and analysed using COA™ . In this way, behaviours that have occurred further back in the timeline, that might have been initially missed, can be identified.
Analysing incident data has never been easier. After selecting search criteria HF-AIR™ produces a range of graphs that display the themes that have occurred over that chosen period. This allows users to identify areas of concern that need to be addressed. All graphs and data can be exported at the click of a button. The graphs illustrate the breakdown of Cognitive failure types, Critical Moment types, 5M Cause types, Cognitive Origins (top 10) and the Contextual Factors (standard plus those rated as having a strong impact).
Reporting is easy with HF-AIR™ . All the data that has been captured during an investigation is exported into an MS Word report template at the click of a button. The report template themes the data and includes supporting evidence such as photographs in the appendix. The report can also be tailored by the organisation to fit their reporting structure and styling. Once downloaded the user can edit the report and upload the final report to the system.
HF-AIR™ has many useful features for managing investigations including:
- Restricting access and permissions on investigations to named investigators
- Collection of background information such as project summaries and evidence
- Amending terminology so it is company specific
- Moving old investigations to archiving
HF-AIR™ can be licenced and used by internal investigators on a yearly basis. We provide training and followup coaching for those using the tool. Alternatively, we have our own set of investigators who are specifically trained to support you in HF investigations using the HF-AIR™ tool.
One of the potential downfalls of any system is when the users of the system are not adequately competent. We assure competency with our system in 3 ways.
- Guidance/Definitions - Throughout the tool there are clear definitions of all concepts and terms as well as comprehensive recommendation guidance.
- Training - A 1-day interactive training course is compulsory for all users covering the core theory and functionality of HF-AIR™ . An additional day can be added to cover other key topics such as interviewing skills.
- Coaching - An additional 1/2 day coaching and review of a completed investigation is also required to become fully certified HF-AIR™ user.
Arrange a trial
For more information or to arrange a demo/trial please contact:
Mobile: +44 (0)131 201 2086