Human Factors Engineer – Aerospace and Defence
As part of IHF’s continued growth, we’re looking to recruit a human factors (HF) expert to support one of the UK’s largest defence contractors. You will be part of the Boundary team, and will be supported by several HF consultants, but you will be working with one key client. With this client, you will experience a breadth of HF domains, on a wide variety of HF and engineering challenges, with a range of stakeholders within the client organisation.
This role will give you the opportunity to use your skillset, influencing the design of equipment and site facilities to ensure they are optimised for their intended users, improving usability, safety, crew wellbeing and reducing the opportunity for user error.
- Writing human factors integration plans
- Human reliability analysis using HEART and THERP
- Safety case development and safety claims substantiation
- Planning and conducting user trials and HF assessments of various interfaces
- HF attendance / reports to show Hazard Identification (Hazid)
Your skills and qualifications:
- BSc in Human Factors Engineering, Engineering Psychology, Usability Engineering or a related field
- Experience with human factors requirements, derivation and management
- Practical experience in human factors standards and regulatory requirements of one of more industries
- Experience in conducting human factors assessments
- Previous experience with reviewing and producing high quality human factor reports
- Ability in Design Basis Assessments (DBA), and Probabilistic Safety Assessment (PSA)
- Previous background in defence, aerospace or marine sector
- Chartered Engineer or membership of a recognised professional body e.g. CIEHF
- Experience with providing human factors advice to a team of different stakeholders
The role will be normally based in Colinton, Edinburgh, however, there is the option for a mix of office / remote working. You will also be expected to travel within the UK frequently.
What we can offer you
- Industry-leading salary
- A mix of office & remote working (optional)
- A healthy work-life balance
- The chance to work on memorable projects as part of an experienced and creatively talented team
- The opportunity to achieve your own career goals, whether this be practical training or opportunities to attend and speak at conferences.